What is an e-book?
The Oxford Dictionary of English defines an e-book "an electronic version of a printed book which can be read on a computer or a specifically designed handheld device."
The library offers e-books through the following services (for more information on each service, click on the title):
- EBSCOhost Academic E-book Collection
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Salem Press e-books
- Other E-books
In addittion to the services provided by the Library, some books that have been placed in the public domain can be found for free online. You can find an assortment of these websites in this section:
How E-Books Work
What do I need to read an e-book?
The e-books provided by the PGCC Library can be read online using your computer's browser. To view the e-book, click on the title that you want to read. A new window will launch with your selection. (If you are off-campus you'll need to login with your OWL Link username and password.)
E-books can also be read using a web enabled mobile device. Navigate your tablet or phone's browser to the PGCC library's website and choose e-book from the left side menu. To view the e-book click on the title and a new window will launch with your selection. (To access e-books through your mobile device you will need to login with your OWL Link username and password.)
Who can borrow e-books?
E-books can be used by enrolled students, faculty, administrators, and staff.
Do I need to download any programs to view them?
At this time, the e-books provided by the PGCC library do not require any additional software to view/read. All titles can be access through the PGCC library website with a web browser.
Can I search e-books?
Yes, all the e-books can be searched. Once you have accessed the e-book, use the search function. In some cases, multiple volumes can be searched by clicking the "all volumes" option.
What other features are available?
E-books accessed through the Gale Virtual Reference Library have these additional options (per article, and not for the complete e-book):
- Text or PDF View
- Translate Article
- Listen to Article
- Download MP3
- Download PDF to e-reader (If viewing on a computer, drag and drop PDF files from your computer to your eReader, when connected via USB. For additional information, please see your eReader's instruction guide.)
- E-mail article
- Citation tools
- Print article
- View e-book in browser
- View e-book using the ebrary Reader
- Download the complete e-book using Adobe Digital Editions for 14 days (e-books can then be transferred to a compatible eReader)
- Create and download a PDF of chapters or page ranges (accesible on most computers and devices, including the Amazon Kindle, without additional software)
- Highlight text
- Add notes to highlighted text
- Create notes
|Use this widget to search the E-brary e-book collection.|
Use this widget to search the Gale Virtual Reference Library e-book collection.