How Can I have a Productive Writing Center Session?
Be On Time
- Tutoring sessions are scheduled by appointment for thirty minutes on the hour and half-hour
- If you are more than ten minutes late, you will forfeit your appointment
State Your Needs Clearly
- Identify what you would like to accomplish in your tutoring session
- For example, do you need help:
- clarifying the assignment?
- developing a thesis?
- organizing your ideas?
- investigating your topic?
- documenting sources?
- Plan ahead so you know what your goals are for the session
Have Your Materials Ready
- Be prepared to show the tutor a written description of your assignment.
- If your instructor has not provided one, please request one prior to arriving.
- Be prepared to upload whatever written work you have completed, corrected to the best of your ability. Please save your document as a PDF.
- In addition, bring your textbook, handouts, and any other materials you may need during the tutoring session.
Be prepared to upload whatever written work you have completed, corrected to the best of your ability.
Please save your Word document as a PDF. To save as a PDF, In your document:
click “Save As”
click the drop down menu next to “Save as type”
select “PDF (*.pdf)”
click “Save” to save your document
You can also watch this short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Yl_3szdxQ
Allow Enough Time for Revision
- Good writing requires rewriting.
- Be sure to schedule your appointment well ahead of the due date so you have time to rework your paper.
- You may want to allow enough time for a follow-up session to go over the changes you make.
Be Open to Suggestions
- Your tutor knows that the writing process can be frustrating, and wants to be helpful.
- Listen with an open mind.