How Can I have a Productive Writing Center Session?
Be On Time
- Tutoring sessions are scheduled by appointment for thirty minutes on the hour and half-hour
- If you are more than ten minutes late, you will forfeit your appointment
State Your Needs Clearly
- Identify what you would like to accomplish in your tutoring session
- For example, do you need help:
- clarifying the assignment?
- developing a thesis?
- organizing your ideas?
- investigating your topic?
- documenting sources?
- Plan ahead so you know what your goals are for the session
Have Your Materials Ready
- If on campus
- be prepared to show the tutor a written description of your assignment.
- If your instructor has not provided one, please request one prior to arriving.
- Have your written work printed or available on a USB drive, completed, and corrected to the best of your ability.
- If online
- Be prepared to share your screen and show the tutor whatever written work you have completed, corrected to the best of your ability.
- In addition, have your textbook, handouts, and any other materials you may need during the tutoring session available.
Allow Enough Time for Revision
- Good writing requires rewriting.
- Be sure to schedule your appointment well ahead of the due date so you have time to rework your paper.
- You may want to allow enough time for a follow-up session to go over the changes you make.
Be Open to Suggestions
- Your tutor knows that the writing process can be frustrating, and wants to be helpful.
- Listen with an open mind.